RECEPTION OF SACRAMENTS OF
RECONCILIATION, EUCHARIST, AND CONFIRMATION
A child preparing for these sacraments must have completed a full year of religious instruction IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING the program year of preparation and reception of the sacraments. Normally this preparation will take place within the regular sacramental preparation programs. Students entering the program after an extended absence or without prior religious instruction may be required to complete the children's catechumenate process. Eligibility for sacrament preparation and reception will be determined by the Coordinator of Religious Education and/or the pastor of the Church of the Ascension.
A child entering Ascension's Religious Education programs from another parish will submit a letter/report from the previously attended program's director/coordinator stating that the child was a participating member of a class the current or previous year.
For more information - or questions - contact Sue Graham, CRE at firstname.lastname@example.org
Instruction for First Eucharist (First Communion), in addition to participation in a First Penance preparation program, is required before a child receives First Communion. The preparation normally takes place during second grade. Preparation will be the responsibility of the parent in cooperation with the parish.
The First Eucharist preparation program consists of these components:
- regular attendance in Religious Education classes
- a session for parents on Monday, January 30, 2017, 4:30-5:30pm or 7:00-8:00pm in the Witzman Center, regarding the preparations at home for First Communion
- completion of a book (supplied by the parish); books and calendars will be distributed at the meeting on January 30
- completion of a family banner to hang in the church on First Communion Day
- participation in the "Jesus Day" retreat for children on Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 1pm—4pm in the school
- participation in a family session in the church on Friday, April 28, 2017, 6:30-8:00 p.m.
Celebration of First Communion at one of the following: 5pm or 12:15 masses on the weekends of May 6/7, and May 13/14, 2017.