S.O.A.R. Summer Service
As Catholics we’re called to Step Out And Respond to injustice in our world. At Ascension we believe in living out the Works of Mercy and the Principles of Social Justice. The S.O.A.R. Summer of Service is designed to help you do just that.
Summer of 2012 marked a change in our summer workcamp. Last year we teamed up with Youthworks to do a week of service in Mingo County, West Virginia. This year, we’ll be back in West Virgina with Youthworks – this time in the town of Logan, just a few miles outside Mingo County. We’ll follow that up with two individual days of service here in the Dayton area. But no matter where we are it’s still a SOAR Summer of Service!
SOAR in West Virginia!
To see photos of our 2012 West Virginia trip, check out our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AscenionYouth
SOAR in Appalachia! In 2012 we worked with Youthworks, a nationwide organization that specializes in youth workcamps, to step out beyond the Dayton area and engage some of the poorest of the poor. Now it’s time to prepare for Summer 2013!!!
- Dates: June 9-14, 2013
- Location: Logan, West Virginia
- Sunday 9:30am – Friday evening
- HS Classes of ’13-’16
- Cost : $130 (Fee includes 5 nights lodging, all meals, and travel)
- $60 deposit due upon registration (Checks payable to Church of the Ascension)
- Registration deadline: Feb 10, 2013
- Space is very limited
On SOAR Workcamp you will:
- Dive into a week-long, in-depth immersion experience into service learning
- Actively explore Catholic social justice teachings
- Experience creative prayer and worship with youth from around the country
- Take a break from the work with fun, games and recreation
- Connect with other Christian teens who value walking the talk of their faith
- Learn to live simply – you’ll have everything you need and some of what you want
- Be part of a community of faith where everyone is accepted and everyone’s gifts are appreciated
- Serve with your hands and hearts reaching out to those in need
- Work with children at a vacation Bible school
SOAR WV Registration
- Download and fill out the registration packet
- Registration deadline February 10, 2013
- Payment in full due by April 15, 2013
- After we fill our youth spaces, registrations will go on a waiting list.
- Registrations will be accepted on first come, first served basis.
Contact Joe Ollier for more info.
Registration materials for SOAR WV workcamp: 2013 SOAR Registration packet
SOAR Summer Shorts:
- 2 individual days of service learning: 2013 Dates TBA
- Each parish (Ascension, St. Charles) will host one day of Service.
- Work with local social service agencies
- Each day includes:
prayer; day-long local service; Mass, dinner
- Sign up for one or both days!
- Cost- $5/day includes breakfast, dinner, and supplies
- Worksite Locations, TBA
- 2013 Registration forms available Spring of 2013
SOAR MISSION STATEMENT
We are young Catholics who desire to Step Out And Respond in service to those in need in the name of Christ. Accepting this challenge, we believe we will soar in living out our Baptismal call to share our gifts. Therefore we create an environment where young people are empowered to live out the social justice teachings of our Catholic faith, encouraged to grow by being stretched beyond our comfort zones, and committed to live, model and proclaim a life of discipleship.
- To empower youth to see service as a vital part of their Christian lifestyle To broaden youth awareness and understanding of Catholic social justice teachings.
- To provide youth an opportunity to see the issues and needs within the local community and beyond
- To offer youth a forum where they can share their gifts in response to these issues and needs
- To provide an environment where youth can connect with other young Catholics and also with Christians of different denominations
Joe Ollier, 253-5171 x 111