RECEPTION OF SACRAMENTS OF
RECONCILIATION, EUCHARIST, AND CONFIRMATION
A child preparing for these sacraments must have completed a full year of religious instruction IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING the program year of preparation and reception of the sacraments. Normally this preparation will take place within the regular sacramental preparation program. Students entering the program after an extended absence or without prior religious instruction may be required to complete the children's catechumenate process. Eligibility for sacrament preparation and reception will be determined by the Coordinator of Religious Education and/or the pastor of the Church of the Ascension.
A child entering Ascension's Religious Education programs from another parish will submit a letter/report from the previously attended program's director/coordinator stating that the child was a participating member of a class the current or previous year.
CONFIRMATION PREPARATION (Grade 7)
Instruction for the Sacrament of Confirmation is required before a student is confirmed, usually in the eighth grade. The Confirmation preparation process begins in the 7th grade. Preparation for students above the 8th grade will be considered on an individual basis and will be accomplished through a special process.
The Confirmation program consists of the following for incoming 7th graders (fall of 2019) and continuing through 8th grade:
- candidate's regular attendance in religious education class (at least 80%)
- attendance by parent at the orientation and registration session on September 16, 2019 @7:00pm in WC 118
- Rite of Invitation on January 26th, 2020 @8:30 Mass for candidates, sponsors, and families followed by a meeting and workshop in the Witzman center.
- attendance by student at the first six CHOSEN sessions: Sunday, February 23, March 1, 8, 15, 29, and April 5 at 6:30pm in the Witzman Center, Room 118
- Sponsor reflection question #1 should to be completed by the candidate and parents/sponsor, due by March 29
- candidate and parent attendance at Confirmation Retreat meeting on Monday, May 11 at 7:00 pm in church
- before the end of the 7th grade, candidate's completion of a minimum of two short-term service experiences and the completion of the Christian Service Reflection Form.
- candidate’s participation in the Confirmation Retreat, July 31 - August 1, 2020 at Montezuma (Maria Stein) Retreat Center. Leave Ascension Friday evening at 5:30 and end with Mass at 5:00 at Retreat Center with students and families attending
- attendance by student at the last six CHOSEN sessions: August 16, 23,30, Sept 13, 20, and 27.
- completion of Sponsor reflection questions: #2 by August 30, #3 by September 27
- Penance Service, TBD
- Confirmation rehearsal, TBD
- Confirmation Mass, October 2020, exact date TBD by the Archbishop's Office
- candidate's completion of one long-term service experience (Sept - May) and completion of the Christian Service Reflection form reflecting on the service by the end of their 8th grade year
CONFIRMATION PREPARATION FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS (Grades 9-12)
The student must have attended the regular program for one year immediately prior to the sacramental preparation year and must participate in the Youth Ministry Home LIFE program during the year of sacramental preparation. Participation in all Confirmation preparation activities is expected. In addition, participation in classroom Confirmation preparation sessions will be determined on an individual basis.