RECEPTION OF SACRAMENTS OF
RECONCILIATION, EUCHARIST, AND CONFIRMATION
A child preparing for these sacraments must have completed a full year of religious instruction IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING the program year of preparation and reception of the sacraments. Normally this preparation will take place within the regular sacramental preparation program. Students entering the program after an extended absence or without prior religious instruction may be required to complete the children's catechumenate process. Eligibility for sacrament preparation and reception will be determined by the Coordinator of Religious Education and/or the pastor of the Church of the Ascension.
A child entering Ascension's Religious Education programs from another parish will submit a letter/report from the previously attended program's director/coordinator stating that the child was a participating member of a class the current or previous year.
CONFIRMATION PREPARATION (Grade 7-8)
Instruction for the Sacrament of Confirmation is required before a student is confirmed, usually in the eighth grade. The Confirmation preparation process begins in the 7th grade. Preparation for students above the 8th grade will be considered on an individual basis and will be accomplished through a special process.
The Confirmation program consists of the following for incoming 7th graders and continuing through 8th grade:
- candidate's regular attendance in religious education class (at least 80%)
- attendance by parent at the orientation and registration session
- Rite of Invitation in January for candidates, sponsors, and families followed by a meeting and workshop in the Witzman center.
- candidate's participation in the preparation sessions
- candidate's participation in retreats
- Confirmation rehearsal, TBD
- Confirmation Mass, October 2021, exact date TBD by the Archbishop's Office
CONFIRMATION PREPARATION FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS (Grades 9-12)
The student must have attended a religion program for one year immediately prior to the sacramental preparation year and must participate in the Youth Ministry Home LIFE program during the year of sacramental preparation. Participation in all Confirmation preparation activities is expected. In addition, participation in classroom Confirmation preparation sessions will be determined on an individual basis.